House Goliath Update and some Terrain



After what seems like a month, I've finally had a chance to sit back down at the painting table and get some work done. I'm only just now approaching the original milestone I mentioned a few posts ago, getting to a full 20 puppets painted, but I've been able to get good work done on another set of bases and I've even had the chance to do a little work with Necromunda.

While I'm catching up with the painting queue, and then with taking pictures, I thought I would give some updates on other projects I've been working on over the last several months.

Necromunda

Since trying to get my blog some attention, I've received a lot of feedback about the Goliath Gang. The gang ended up somewhere in the neighborhood of about 30 or so models including the original Goliath releases, the new Goliath release and a number of kitbashed fighters using Chaos Marauder and Ork plastics.

Unfortunately, the Goliaths ended up coming together at kind of an unfortunate time for me. I built them, primed them, started painting them and promptly lost interest in Necromunda for more than a year. In its place came Space Hulk and then Malifaux and now Puppet Wars.

This left me with only a test model painted.

Part of the reason I may have lost interest in the Necromunda project was the Goliaths themselves. These guys are tricky to paint. A lot of skin, a lot of green hair (which I've determined will look like it's been colored, badly) and a lot of black leather. I think I was simply intimidated by them. (there is a second test model painted, as shown in the picture at the beginning of the post, but I don't have a single good picture of him and he has since had an unfortunate decapitation.

The good news is that I've been developing skills this whole time. With all my new tricks, techniques and tools, I've found my happy place when it comes to painting flesh. I'm looking forward to getting them back on the painting table. Now I just have to decide whether to leave them primed black or re-prime them back to white, which is what I've been working with in my other projects.

When I looked over the pictures I had of the test model, I noticed they were both a bit darker than I like and, for some reason, the guys barrel wasn't drilled. I don't know why this is the case, but I am very inconsistent on this. No worries though. In the end, they will all be drilled out and looking good.
In an effort to beef up the post, I'm going to throw in pictures of the other project I was working on at the same time as the Goliaths. This is my most recent terrain. My terrain building prior to Malifaux, was focused on small pieces that are easy to store and mostly durable. The thing my tables have often missed are those patches of difficult terrain or low lying cover, so these pieces will fill that gap rather nicely.

While I haven't had a chance to work on any terrain lately, Malifaux has started to get me eager to build again. Maybe this summer I'll be able to start terrain work again. Like painting, it seems that whenever I return to terrain building, the stuff looks better and better, so I can't wait to get into it and see how older and more experienced eyes put a piece together. (Does that sound dirty? Hmm....)





More to come.

-Nick

Comments

  1. Have you thought of priming grey? I find it works best for me as one can go both light or dark more easily from it's neutral shade. I typically only prime white if I'm painting yellow or white and black if primarily silver based metallics or black.

    Anyhoo.... Either way - your goliath chap is pretty darn cool and I really like your skin colours and painting method.

    Your terrain likewise is just lovely. Wish i had time and energy to make my own, I know I need to if I'm ever to get my own inquisimunda game off the ground.

    - Dai

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I've never actually tried priming anything grey. I will have to look into it. As far as terrain, I too lack the energy to do much any more...I'm hoping some good playing time for Malifaux may inspire me to get something new and cool built.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts