Super Dungeon Explore Vol. 6: Kobold Gougers

The last of the rank and file Kobolds to make their way to my desk, the Kobold Gougers are now complete. Initially, I think I left these guys for last simply because the models were not that exciting and I wanted time to complete the rest of the range in order to determine how to make these guys pop. 


I kept things simple and very similar to the rest of the Kobolds so far. Because these guys don't have any armor to contrast with their orange skin, I decided to go with a slightly more garish look on their scales and horns. This is a bit brighter and certainly stands out quite a bit, but is not different enough to clash with the rest of the



Before
After
With the gougers, I ran into a conflict that I wanted to highlight in the blog. The gouger models went together fairly well, with the exception of a very large gap in their necks where the heads fitted to the bodies. This was really the case with most of the Kobolds, but it was particularly present on these guys. While I had initially approached this project in the mindset of ‘just get them painted so we can play’ I undercoated these guys and even started to get the basecoat on when the hobbyist side of me came out and demanded a higher standard. To that end, I filled in the gaps on the Kobold necks, modeling the greenstuff to look like they have some sort of scaly growth that defined the back of their jaw. Yes, this did set their progress back considerably, and it kind of derailed my momentum, but I think it was the right thing to do in the end.

In the end, there’s nothing that really stands out about these little guys, but they look good on the table and they fit the rest of the models very well. In my book, that’s a success.

More to Come.


-Nick

Comments

Popular Posts